Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Three of a Kind

Three years ago yesterday was the first time I posted to the Bunny. I had been outside on the back deck watching fireflies light up like so many flashbulbs at a rock concert.

Thumper called last night reminding me to go out and look at the fireflies. They reminded her of me. She only sees me lit? No, that was too easy. They were just pretty things that made her think of me.

They are pretty things and, being humans, we like to co-opt pretty things to do our bidding. We build formal gardens, espalier fruit trees, domesticate animals or put them in zoos. We're a stupid species. Look at fireflies, we capture them and lock them in jars to provide a weak and feeble light by which we can read dirty magazines in treehouses. Its so stupid and useless.

If they provided primitive ethanol, we could load the little bastards into our gas tank by the ton. Now there's a helpful application of nature!

My commute these days runs down a bucolic farm lane that passes through a few small towns. One features a "Full Gospel Church" proclaimed by a big blue banner on the side of the building. Got me to thinking if there's a "Half Gospel Church" around anywhere. Maybe for those with a touch of agnosticism or pragmatists who think its all far too wordy.

"Flock, today we shall discard Romans 12. The syntax is awkward. Also, Corinthians 8, pretty much is just more of Corinthians 7. Oh, and St. Paul's Letters to the Apostles, I think we can do away with the ones about the best take-out in Nazareth."

I got stuck behind a Lexus SUV the other day. This has to be the most boring vehicle known to man. Onboard functions included self adjusting mirrors, a global positioning system, on line stock quotes, probably an on board coffee maker and a little buzzer that goes off to keep the driver from planting his forehead on the steering wheel as he passes out asleep. Maybe they can put a heads up reminder screen on the inside of the windshield pointing to the happy accelerator pedal and would you please press it a little harder, at least do the speed limit? The bucolicism is becoming entirely too much. The William Tell overture is starting to play in my head.

So three years later, hundreds of posts, two houses we're still all here.

And I'm still out on a porch staring at fireflies. Something comforting in that.

Bunny on.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

has it been that long? wow ...

but we haven't aged at all, right??

8:48 PM  
Blogger cog said...

happy blogday.

May there be many more.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary?

Bunny on, indeed...

1:21 AM  
Blogger Johnny C. said...

Still one of my favorite blogs to read.

I just want to see a picture of your "Bunny On" tattoo.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Real Live Lesbian said...

Happy Blogiversary and a day!


I'm here from Magazine Man...I'm glad I stopped by. Fun read.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


visited 34 states (68%)